Monday 10 May 2010

Interview: Andrea Lewis, True Entertainer

"I love to sing, it does something for my soul"


Since she was scouted in a mall at a young age, this truly talented performer has starred in a whole host of films and television shows from Down in the Delta, directed by Maya Angelou, to Nickelodeon's first musical, Spectacular (and you can now catch  her show, Degrassi: The Next Generation at 12:30 on Saturdays, BBC2.) She participates in all manner of charity events, such as World AIDS Day, YWCA and UNICEF campaigns and now she is coming out with an album, press play below to fall in love with her wonderful voice:




Which is your favourite, out of all the projects you’ve worked on?
It's so hard to choose just one that was my favourite! Doing a new project or working on a new set is like going to summer camp. You become super close with everyone on the set while you're working but then when it's over you're on to the next one! So the friendships that you develop are really important! I enjoyed every season on Degrassi but I think my favorites were seasons 4 and 5! We had a lot of jokes and did a lot of traveling, it was great!

Do you think you might have done something other than performing if you hadn’t been scouted as a child?
I really don't think there is anything else that I would want to do- I love my life and my job and from a young age I always knew this is what I was meant to do!

Did you ever study acting?
I've never studied acting before but recently I started taking a class (as in last week) to get me out of my comfort zone. Every actor is different and some people love taking classes and some would rather just work on the natural abilities that they have! Whatever helps do it, so far my class is great!

What advice would you give to aspiring actors?
It's a tough business and you will starve and receive way more "No"s than "Yes" but if you love and I mean really love it! Than stick to it because eventually you're hard work will pay off!

The hardest thing about being a part of celebrity culture is everyone has their own opinion. You basically put yourself out there to be scrutinized but everyone! Some people will think you're pretty or ugly, fat or skinny, talented, not talented and it's up to you to develop a tough skin and keep it moving. But trust me it can take a toll on your self-esteem. Yeesh!

If you had to pick, would you choose acting or singing?
That's so hard to choose! Kinda like the brownies or cookies question! Right now the place that I'm at in my life I'd choose singing! I love to sing, it does something for my soul that acting doesn't always do! But don't get me wrong I love it, but music is where my heart is right now.

What inspires your music?
My music is inspired by my life! If the story in the song doesn't relate exactly to me it's usually about one of my friends or my family!

How do you write your best songs?
I write my best songs in silence and usually between 10 and 11 at night. I don't know why but instead of winding down I'm always in the mood to hear music at those times and it makes me want to write!

Who would you love to collaborate with?
Right now I'd love to collaborate with an new artist named Miguel, he's really dope! And Nicki Minaj! [click to see Andrea and Shannon's brilliant Nicki Minaj impersonation/tribute] So many people say we look a like I think it would be really funny to do a song with her and make a video playing up our resemblance lol.

Do you plan to tour the UK soon with your new album?
Most definitely! I've never been to the UK and I'm dying to go! I've had a couple meetings recently about how I can go there for whether it be through touring or working with different producers.

You’ve said that you’re working on your own projects right now. What can we expect?
Yes, as Shannon and I mentioned before we're working on taking TGAW to the next level with a real sketch comedy show! I'm really excited about it and I think it'll change the world of comedy!

Check out some of her (seriously questionable) acting methods...



(true entertainer!)


And one of the songs from her upcoming album:

0 comments:

Post a Comment